When designing our first house we wanted a clean, modern and organic feel. Some of the products we used included:
- Custom bamboo cabinets, FSC certified
- Recycled glass Vetrazzo counter top from Baker Granite and Marble
- Glass tile back splash by Anne Saks
- Round skylight which will provide natural light to the great room and kitchen
- No and low-VOC interior and exterior paint
- New double paned aluminum windows by Ventana: Low E, glazed, and energy star rated
- LEED certified door
- Stainless (energy star) appliances
- Cork Flooring
- Dimmable compact fluorescent lighting
- Reclaimed wood by TerraMai. About 20 + species of hardwood milled in Shasta. Taken from international shipping containers.
- As an alternative to a lawn that soaks up water we used an ornamental bunch grass called “Red Fountain Grass.”
- Black Mexican beach stone provided a nice clean look, and additionally allows for storm water runoff to be absorbed in a way that concrete does not, and they allow us to direct the irrigation into the fountain grasses.
- Ice plants and dune grasses native to the area were used along the border in the backyard to recreate the look of the sand dunes that defined the Sunset District before it was developed, and Bougainvillea along one side to add color as well as allow us to better control irrigation.
- Mulch was spread out over the area to help with water retention.